
The World Health Organization (WHO) has acknowledged that the Ebola outbreak began “a couple of months ago,” after facing sharp criticism from US. The US secretary of state, Marco Rubio, said yesterday, May 19, that the United Nations agency had been “a little late” in detecting the deadly disease.
Rubio told reporters: “The lead is obviously going to be CDC [Centers for Disease Control] and the World Health Organization, which was a little late to identify this thing unfortunately.”
The head of the World Health Organization has warned the risk of global spread of the Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda is high at national, regional levels but low at the global level.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said so far 51 cases have been confirmed in Congo in the northern provinces of Ituri and North Kivu provinces in Congo, “although we know the scale of the epidemic is much larger.”
He said Uganda has also told the UN health agency of two confirmed cases in Uganda’s capital, Kampala. "Beyond the confirmed cases, there are almost 600 suspected cases and 139 suspected," he said. "We expect those numbers to keep increasing."
THIS IS A BREAKING STORY. MORE TO FOLLOW...