Top Stories

NHS trust sacks staff over attacks victims' records

Asha PatelEast Midlands
Supplied Barnaby Webber, Grace O'Malley Kumar and Ian Coates Supplied

Eleven members of staff, including doctors and nurses, have been sacked by an NHS trust for inappropriately accessing medical records of the Nottingham attacks victims.

Nottingham students Barnaby Webber and Grace O'Malley-Kumar, and grandfather Ian Coates, were stabbed to death by Valdo Calocane - who was diagnosed with paranoid schizoprehnia - on 13 June 2023.

It emerged in 2025 that staff at Nottingham University Hospitals (NUH) NHS Trust had accessed the victims' records without need, prompting an internal investigation.

On Thursday, NUH confirmed 11 members of staff had been dismissed, 12 had final written warnings and two had first written warnings.

Reuters Nottingham attacks police cordon and forensic officers Reuters

The trust said it had informed Nottinghamshire Police and the Information Commissioner's Office of the outcomes.

It comes as a public statutory inquiry continues, examining the lead-up to the attacks and decisions and actions taken in the aftermath.

NUH confirmed the staff involved in the investigations included doctors, nurses, registered medical professionals, and admin and clerical colleagues.

The families of Barnaby, Grace and Ian were informed of the outcome of the investigations this week, the trust added.

Further investigations are ongoing into inappropriate access, including into the files of surviving victims of the attacks, Wayne Birkett, Sharon Miller and Marcin Gawronski.

'Fundamental principle'

Dr Manjeet Shehmar, medical director at NUH, said: "The families of Ian, Grace and Barnaby have had to endure much pain and heartache, and I am truly sorry that the actions of some of our staff have added to that.

"To access the medical records of our patients without a legitimate reason is totally unacceptable and we are doing all we can to identify where and how that has happened."

Shehmar is expected to give her evidence to the Nottingham Inquiry next week.

The trust said follow-up activity would take place with independent regulators, such as the Nursing and Midwifery Council and General Medical Council.

Shemar said appropriate access was a "fundamental principle of our duty of care" which the "vast majority" of staff understood.

She added: "By accessing records inappropriately, staff are damaging the valuable contributions made by those colleagues providing care for those patients.

"In those cases where it does happen, I hope that this is a very clear reminder that we will take appropriate action."

Calocane was sentenced to a hospital order in January 2024 after admitting three counts of manslaughter on the grounds of diminished responsibility and three counts of attempted murder.

What later emerged was a series of failings by authorities, including the police and mental health services - which Calocane was known to - prompting calls for a statutory public inquiry.

NUH is among a number of organisations in which staff inappropriately viewed records or information related to the fatal attacks.

Further potential data breaches

In December 2024, an investigation opened into allegations Ministry of Justice (MoJ) staff illegally accessed computer files related to the Nottingham attacks.

Amy Holmes, the interim director general for the chief operating group of the Ministry of Justice (MoJ), told the inquiry she could not detail what information was accessed due to the ongoing police investigation.

The inquiry also heard seven probation service officers were identified as having accessed the information.

HM Prison and Probation Service found four of those officers accessed files legitimately, but three did not have a legitimate reason to do so.

However, it was deemed by the probation service and the Ministry of Justice's data protection unit that the breaches were not serious enough to warrant further action.

Listen to BBC Radio Nottingham on Sounds and follow BBC Nottingham on Facebook, on X, or on Instagram. Send your story ideas to eastmidsnews@bbc.co.uk or via WhatsApp on 0808 100 2210.


Source link

Leave A Comment


Last Visited Articles:


Info Board

Visitor Counter
0
 

Todays visit

47 Articles 10497 RSS ARTS 15 Photos

Popular News

🚀 Welcome to our website! Stay updated with the latest news. 🎉

United States

216.73.216.89 :: Total visit:


Welcome 776.73.776.89 Click here to Register or login
Oslo time:2026-05-21 Whos is online (last 1 min): 
1 - United States - 286.73.286.89
2 - United States - 73.7.227.33
3 - United States - 74.7.243.250
4 - France - 254.42.202.208
5 - United States - 71.7.213.212
6 - United States - 449.443.459.98
7 - United States - 254.22.204.96
8 - Singapore - 004.038.05.009
9 - United States - 73.049.06.035
10 - Romania - 00.000.09.009
11 - Hong Kong - 908.987.79.964
12 - Brazil - 738.786.777.94
13 - United States - 304.200.33.355
14 - United States - 774.77.96.727
15 - United States - 74.7.241.58
16 - United States - 999.993.243.22
17 - Greece - 444.247.74.82
18 - United States - 54.5.225.548


Farsi English Norsk RSS