News Feed

An individual in a white long-sleeved shirt administers a temperature check to another person wearing a colorful headscarf and a

TOPSHOT - A staff member of the CBCA Virunga Hospital checks a visitor's temperature using a a contactless infrared thermometer, before allowing her access to the hospital in Goma on May 17, 2026. A first case of Ebola virus infection has been reported in Goma, a major city in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo controlled by the M23 armed group, with the WHO declaring an international health alert on Sunday.According to figures released Saturday by the African Union's health agency (Africa CDC), 88 deaths likely caused by the virus have been recorded, out of 336 suspected cases. One death has been reported in neighboring Uganda. As the epicenter of the outbreak is located in a hard-to-reach area, few samples have been tested in laboratories and the figures are based largely on suspected cases. (Photo by Jospin Mwisha / AFP via Getty Images) (Image: AFP via Getty Images)

Health authorities are on high alert following a new Ebola outbreak in Africa that has already spread beyond the continent's borders.

Ebola, which triggers fever, vomiting and catastrophic bleeding, can prove fatal within just 24 hours of infection.

In an alarming update, the Democratic Republic of Congo's health ministry has confirmed that more than 130 people are believed to have died, with over 500 suspected cases recorded in the eastern region of the country.

An American citizen has also tested positive for the virus after being exposed while working in the DR Congo. The individual has since been flown to Germany for treatment, according to the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and is currently being treated in a specialist isolation ward at Berlin's Charité hospital.

Six further individuals have been identified as high-risk contacts and are expected to be transferred to Europe to undergo strict quarantine measures.

Dr. Craig Spencer, who was diagnosed with Ebola in New York City last month, is viewed at a news conference at New York's Bellev

NEW YORK, NY - NOVEMBER 11: Dr. Craig Spencer, who was diagnosed with Ebola in New York City last month, is viewed at a news conference at New York's Bellevue Hospital after being declared free of the disease on November 11, 2014 in New York City. Spencer, a 33 year old Doctors Without Borders physician, was diagnosed last month after returning from treating patients in Guinea. He became the first person to test positive for the deadly virus in the New York City and was treated in isolation at the hospital. Spencer's case started a controversy about voluntary quarantine after he travelled the city in the days after returning from Africa unaware that he was carrying the virus. After being released, Spencer he is expected to return to his apartment in the New York City neighborhood of Hamilton Heights. (Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images) (Image: Getty Images)

As the world grapples with yet another major health crisis, an American doctor who contracted Ebola while treating patients during the 2014 outbreak has spoken out with a stark warning.

Dr Craig Spencer told American outlet ABC News that he is "certain" the current outbreak is "much bigger" than the official figures suggest.

"My biggest concern about this outbreak is that we learned way too much way too quickly for this to be anything but really bad," Dr Spencer said. Dr Spencer tested positive for the deadly virus after treating patients in Guinea in 2014 while working for Médecins Sans Frontières, also known as Doctors Without Borders. Upon returning to the United States, he spent 19 days receiving treatment at Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan, New York.

Donald Trump

Donald Trump claims he has been asked to 'hold off' on planned attacks on Iran (Image: AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein)

"I was lucky enough to survive. And then a few months later, I went back to Guinea. As an epidemiologist helping run the national response for Doctors Without Borders in early 2015," Dr Spencer said.

When asked whether he would consider volunteering his expertise to assist with the current Ebola outbreak, he said: "I've already put my family through quite a bit. We'll see what comes out of this, but I'm happy to help."

Dr Spencer told ABC News that the American doctor who has recently contracted the disease weighs heavily on his mind.

"I unfortunately know exactly what it feels like to be in that situation, to be incredibly fearful, to have a disease that maybe you've seen the impact of and know that there's not a treatment for," Dr Spencer said, adding: "I'm thinking of him and his family."

Dr Spencer continues to practise emergency medicine at A&E, and also serves as a professor of public health at Brown University. He further noted that US President Donald Trump's decision to withdraw America from the World Health Organisation (WHO) has left the country ill-equipped to respond to the latest Ebola outbreak — one of Trump's first actions upon resuming office last year.

Dr Spencer's remarks follow US Secretary of State Marco Rubio's criticism of the WHO on Tuesday (May 19), when he told reporters the international health body was "a little late" in detecting the devastating Ebola outbreak in Africa.

An individual in a yellow shirt and mask stands at a sink, pouring a red liquid from a bottle, while another individual, also we

A visitor washes his hands before entering Kyeshero Hospital at a checkpoint for hand washing and temperature screening for all visitors and patients entering Kyeshero Hospital, as part of Ebola prevention measures in Goma on May 18, 2026. A first case of Ebola virus infection has been reported in Goma, a major city in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo controlled by the M23 armed group, with the WHO declaring an international health alert on May 17, 2026. (Photo by Jospin Mwisha / AFP via Getty Images) (Image: AFP via Getty Images)

"The lead is obviously going to be CDC and the World Health Organisation, which was a little late to identify this thing unfortunately," he said, via the Guardian.

Rubio revealed that the United States - which pledged approximately £9.7 million (USD$13 million) in aid despite extensive funding cuts last year - was aiming to establish around 50 treatment centres for Ebola in the DR Congo.

(L) Dr Craig Spencer, pictured in 2014, during his time in Africa prior to contracting Ebola, and (R) an artist's impression of

(L) Dr Craig Spencer, pictured in 2014, during his time in Africa prior to contracting Ebola, and (R) an artist's impression of Ebola in its natural environment (Image: Supplied)

America's exit from the WHO also resulted in the international health body losing nearly a quarter of its workforce – roughly 2,000 positions – from a total staff of approximately 9,400.

Trump's decision to pull the US out of the WHO has been characterised by experts - particularly Georgetown University professor of global health Lawrence Gostin - as "sowing the seeds of the next pandemic".


Source link

Leave A Comment


Last Visited Articles:


Info Board

Visitor Counter
0
 

Todays visit

47 Articles 10362 RSS ARTS 15 Photos

Popular News

🚀 Welcome to our website! Stay updated with the latest news. 🎉

United States

216.73.216.15 :: Total visit:


Welcome 776.73.776.75 Click here to Register or login
Oslo time:2026-05-20 Whos is online (last 1 min): 
1 - United States - 000.73.000.05
2 - United States - 74.7.777.737
3 - United States - 74.7.242.9
4 - United States - 77.7.273.230
5 - Singapore - 000.009.050.03
6 - United States - 74.7.242.7
7 - United States - 662.256.642.266


Farsi English Norsk RSS