
A man from Nottingham has been jailed for 13 years after he forced his way into the victim’s home in a vicious attack. Marcus Bennett, aged 44, tricked his way into his victim's home in June last year.
In September, his victim reported receiving a series of threatening messages from him. When discussing the messages with officers, the victim disclosed she had been raped by the suspect three months earlier after he tricked his way into her home. She also reported two additional instances when he had raped her as she slept.
READ MORE: Ex-Ferrari F1 driver hospitalised after being attacked in 'stabbing rampage'
READ MORE: Sex crimes expert reveals possible next police move in Epstein-Andrew allegation
Bennett denied the allegations against him throughout his initial police interview.
In response to a question about whether a person could or could not consent to sex if they are asleep, Bennett said he didn’t know – before later saying that they could not.
He also said he was “vexed” if sex was denied, and claimed to have not seen the victim at the time of the alleged offences.
Later photo evidence proved this was not true.
Bennett continued his denials throughout a two-week trial at Nottingham Crown Court, after which he was found guilty of two counts of rape.
Jury members heard how the victim had reported the first offence to her mother – also sending her pictures of bruises – but had been too frightened of Bennett to report it.
He was cleared of a third count of rape, and an additional charge under Malicious Communications Act 1988 was left to lie on file.

Detective Constable Abigail Dorricott, of Nottinghamshire Police, said: “Like many victims of serious sexual offences, the victim in this case was concerned that she would not be believed if she came forward and told the police.
“As this case demonstrates, we take all reports of this nature extremely seriously and will leave no stone unturned in getting to the truth.
“When presented with the very compelling account of the victim and the other very strong evidence against Bennett, the jury in this case were clear in their verdict.
“I am delighted for the victim that justice hcourtas now been done and pleased that Bennett can pose no further threat to her or other women.”
Bennett, of Radcliffe Road, Nottingham, was sentenced on Tuesday 19 May to 13 years in prison.
He was also added to the sex offenders’ register and handed a restraining order banning him from any further contact with the victim.
If you have been affected by any themes in this story, you can call Rape Crisis for free 24 hours a day on 0808 500 2222. You can also visit the website to start a free online chat.