British expats in Europe must follow new driving licence rules with changes made today

British expats living abroad in Europe will have to follow driving licence rules introduced in Norway from today.

The Baltic country is making tweaks to the rules around the exchange of driving licences from countries outside of the European Economic Area (EEA).

Nations not part of the EU’s single market will be able to reapply for a Norwegian licence from April 1, 2024.

According to the Norwegian Public Roads Administration, Statens vegvesens, changes will apply to citizens of certain nations both inside and outside of Europe.

The UK has been included under a list of affected countries meaning those living abroad must ensure they are following the rules to avoid being caught out.

Statens vegvesens explained: “Please note that changes have been made to the rules regarding the exchange of driving licences from countries outside the EEA.

“The adopted changes will be in force from April 1, 2024. You will then be able to reapply under the new rules.

“A driving licence from Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, San Marino, the UK, Switzerland, South Korea, or the USA may be exchanged for a Norwegian driving licence.”

Norwegian officials have previously claimed British citizens living in the country can still exchange their driving licence based on when the UK was still a member of the European Union.

They added: “You can exchange your British driving license for a Norwegian driving license according to the rules that apply to driving licenses from EEA countries.

“This applies even if your driving license was issued after the UK left the EU.” (sic)

However, motorists can exchange their UK card for a Norwegian driving licence of the same class.

According to the experts, road users do not need to take a new driving test in exchange for a Norwegian licence.

But, once motorists have obtained a Norwegian licence their foreign photocard will be returned to the issuing country.

Those not planning on moving to Norway full-time do not need to get their licence exchanged.

Nothing needs to be done for those on a sho-holiday but those planning on staying for more than three months will need some documents.

GOV.UK said: “For stays of less than 90 days you can drive with a UK photocard driving licence. For longer stays or if you only have a paper licence, you need an international driving permit (IDP).”

Source link

Leave a Reply

Back To Top